Sunday, November 11, 2012

Welcome! Writing and Community

Welcome to the home of PUB Church, a community of Prayer, Understanding and Belonging...It has been a long time since I have written; except for what I write in school which has actually been the catalyst for starting to blog again.
Last fall I enrolled at George Fox University's Seminary and have decided to pursue an MDiv. I started out tentatively deciding to enroll in the Master of Arts in Ministry Leadership Program, but being petrified of taking Greek and Hebrew is an absolute cop out to not pursue the MDiv. Anyway, I really want to study with Leonard Sweet in their Doctoral Program, so MDiv it is, even if Greek and Hebrew are equivalent in my mind to Calculus and Statistics. I'm not so young anymore and my memory not quite as good as it used to be, but the learning environment is affirming and stimulating and inviting me into a greater friendship with Jesus, which unfortunately isn't the focus of many institutional churches. I must say I have been fortunate that in the two churches I have worshiped with, Jesus has been the center, but I know it is not like that everywhere.
Anyway, then there is the issue of us people; we tend to hurt and wound each other, and the church people are no exception. Early experiences taught me quickly that despite the church proclaiming to be a place of healing, that often wasn't the case.
Thus my ramblings and musings on what a healing community of Christ followers might be...and since the Church is really the people (followers of Jesus) and not the building, a community where people can come together to Pray, Understand and Belong became my dream.
I dream of gathering with those who know, don't yet know, or have given up on church or even Jesus...
I dream of gathering in places people go to gather, hang  out and enjoy food and drink, and not just coffee, but a beer or glass of wine as well.
I dream of gathering in a Pub and in a Coffee Shop.
I dream of others joining me with their thoughts and dreams...we can agree to disagree, we can wrestle with questions, seek answers, and support each other in community where all are welcome to the conversation.
Please join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment