Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Interruptions and Invitations

Not sure how yesterday came and went...oh yes, I was open to interruption in my day and well, that is usually a request that God honors. My life seems to consistently be built on rabbit trails...
So my day started out without the typical drama that having two teenage daughters living under the same roof will bring, so that was a blessing in itself...but then I noticed three missed calls starting at 5:08 am. This generally doesn't mean good news if  it starts that early, but I didn't recognize the phone number. And my phone was dead so I couldn't even check to see if there was a voice mail.
By the time I got home it was charged sufficiently to check the messages to learn that a young lady I have walked alongside (and did an intervention with) was coming through  town and wanted to stop by. I have been wanting to give her a hug in person anyway, so that was great.
Her arrival time coincided exactly with when I was getting my mom up (caregiver had much deserved day off) and as usual I ended up doing two things at the same time.
Well, poor Amy has ridiculous skin that was all broken out and RED so that meant we HAD to go to the dermatologist. I happen to know one (my husband) who was able to prescribe  her some good cream that the pharmacy had said they would fill to match WalMart's price, but somehow that didn't get conveyed and so we put it on hold (health care $$ ridiculous).
In the meantime she needed to arrange to be picked up, borrowed my cell phone,  my house phones are completely dead (mystery illness) and I totally missed a radio interview for my book, UnDoing Church, Discovering Faith.
This is not good.
I didn't realize it until about two hours after the fact and went into a panic and immediately acknowledged it to Don, the publicist who set it up...His comment was one of encouragement and gratitude that I took responsibility for my mess up. Hello? I totally messed up, how could I possibly not acknowledge that?
But we do that, don't we? Try to squirm our way out of things that are definitely our fault and pin the blame on someone else.
Amy needed a friend yesterday. And I was that friend. It wasn't and intrusion, the interruption was an invitation.
It's a risky request to ask for interruptions. But they generally are invitations to serve...I feel terrible that I messed up my responsibility to the radio station...My daughter sagely asked if it was live...I don't know, but I hope not. Like I said, it wasn't good...but there was an opportunity to share the Gospel  differently...
Where is God inviting you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment